I’m happy to say that the Free as in Freedom LCA miniconf schedule has been finalised. I’ve copied it below. (The definitive version is here)
- 09:00 Brianna Laugher – intro, housekeeping
- 09:25 Arthur Sale – Beyond Open Source
- 10:15 — Morning Tea (20) —
- 10:35 Laura Simes – Future directions for Copyright Law
- 11:05 Katherine Szuminska and Matthew Landauer – OpenAustralia – Everyday democracy for everybody in Australia
- 11:35 Liam Wyatt – Gratis & libre
- 12:00 Jessica Coates – Freedom Fighting – how do we convince the powers that be to relax their grip?
- 12:25 — Lunch (80) —
- 13:45 Sarah Stokely – It’s all fun and games until someone wants to sue you: Reporting in the age of citizen journalism
- 14:15 Simon Greener – A Review of Australian GeoData and Providers
- 14:45 Rachel Cobcroft – Freedom in Focus: CC Photography and Cultural Change
- 15:15 Jeff Waugh – We are the translators!
- 15:35 — Afternoon Tea (20) —
- 15:55 Claudine Chionh – Public history in the digital age
- 16:25 Rusty Russell – Free as in Market: Property and Liberty
- 16:55 Close + Freedom Bingo
I think the lineup is a good mix of LCA “regulars” and outsiders — well, maybe half the speakers are people who would not think to attend LCA, I guess. So for that I am glad, because that kind of crossover/multidisciplinary area where the most interesting ideas are often found, IMO. When we are exposed to other fields outside our own, we can see which patterns we are familiar with are actually very general, and which are specific. It helps stop us from thinking that we are encountering everything for the first time ever.
I’m so excited to have such a wonderful range of speakers. I can’t wait!!
Elsewhere on the web...
Commenting is closed for this article.